Thursday, June 11, 2015

Chores, Prayers & Blessings

I've been mulling this over for weeks now--implementing a chore chart and allowance for Olivia.

I wanted a chart that was EASY for both Olivia and me to keep track of and one that would clearly spell out her DAILY RESPONSIBILITIES.

I really liked the idea of ChoreMonster because I thought Olivia would love having access to her chart via an app, but in the end, I decided to just go old-school and put pen to paper.

I just saw this chart courtesy of Dixie Delights and instantly knew it was THE ONE!



What I love about it is it's simple, sweet, and to the point.  There's just enough room for 7 chores which is very manageable.  I have to admit that I had a list of probably double that number, and, in the end, decided it was just too much.  Too overwhelming.  So out went any chore that wasn't a DAILY responsibility. For instance, putting away clean clothes--since I don't do laundry every day, that chore got bumped.

So, here's the final list I came up with for Olivia:



  1. Make Bed
  2. Read/Workbook (Independent reading time and/or activities in her summer workbook)
  3. Take Out Recycling
  4. Tidy Up (This could be anything from picking up the playroom to collecting toys that seem to find their way downstairs and take them back upstairs to the playroom)
  5. Feed Bailey (the dog)
  6. Do Something Nice (I like this one, and I'm looking forward to see the things Olivia comes up with everyday!  So far Olivia has sent a card to a friend and picked up litter in the Sam's parking lot.)
  7. Mom's Choice (This is for those chores that don't fall under the "everyday" category like putting away clean clothes, emptying bathroom trashcans, retrieving trashcan from end of driveway on trash day, etc.)


Olivia will earn $1.00 each day (up to $7.00/week) if all her boxes are checked for the day.  It's all or nothing my friends!  This keeps things super simple and so easy to keep track of!!

We're also going to teach Olivia about TITHING and SAVING.  I would love for Olivia to learn the importance of both sooner rather than later.

My hope is that once Olivia takes a step in obedience and begins tithing, she will see that she can't outgive God--that when she brings her first and best back to Him, He promises to bless the rest!
  • Malachi 3:10 (NIV)

    Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.
He promises.  HE PROMISES!

I want to see Him bless Olivia like that! I want Him to "throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it!"  I pray that for both of my children.  But it first starts with their hearts.  They first must know God, then they will see that He is faithful, and He keeps his promises.  Once their hearts know that, they can confidently step out in obedience and embrace biblical tithing.

So, this chore chart is soooo much more than just that.  I pray that it be used to bring heart change and then obedience and then abundant blessings!

Sincerely,

Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment