Wednesday, August 7, 2013
I Heart My Church
The last few months have been especially HEART CHANGING at NewSpring! Every Sunday is BETTER than the one before! I feel my heart being expanded, changed and awakened like a wave is rushing over and through me. It's CRAZY AWESOME!
I love my church. To me, it's not just a saying on a T-shirt. It's weird to say it, so I know it's weird to hear it (or read it, I should say.) I've NEVER, EVER heard ANYONE E.V.E.R. say they loved their church before coming to NewSpring, and when I really (really) thought about that, I realized that's weird. I love my church for many reasons. I love my church because:
1) It's real. The Pastor is real. It's full of real people--people that KNOW and openly CONFESS their sins and struggles. It's like no church I've EVER experienced!
2) The gospel is PuuuuuuuuuREACHED! And when the gospel is preached, HEARTS WILL CHANGE! EVERY TIME! Without fail! And it doesn't matter if someone has been in church since birth or if they have been in church for 5 minutes, WE ALL have room for our hearts to be changed. It's the only way to strengthen my relationship with God--allow Him in to change me.
3) The sermons are never boring, predictable or safe. NEVER! Let this sink in...really, read this and really let it sink in...think about it...JESUS DIED FOR THE CHURCH. Let that into your heart. Make it personal...who would you die for? Your husband? Wife? Mom? Dad? Children? Do you think Jesus LOVED and DIED for the church so that it could be boring? Predictable? Safe? NOOOOO WAY! The sermons are challenging, convicting and scripture based. I love that NewSpring will do whatever it takes (aside from sin) to change hearts. Even if that means blasting "Highway to Hell" for the Easter Sunday opener!
4) I know that Olivia and Davis are learning about Jesus on their level in KidSpring. I L.O.V.E. that Olivia is EXCITED to go to KidSpring! We count down the days until Sunday! I love that NewSpring invests in children NOW. TODAY. While they're still CHILDREN. KidSpring teaches children they are VALUABLE TODAY, not just when they're old enough to tithe. I love that my children are getting reinforcement through the church that they were made on purpose and for a purpose. I love that Olivia and Davis will graduate from NewSpring's Children Ministry and enter into the Student Ministry where Pastor Perry lays down BIG and BOLD prayers:
(from "My Gauntlet Prayer (A Prayer for the Next Generation)")
My heart overflows with gratefulness that Olivia and Davis will grow up in a church that I wish I had as a child.
5) It's a place where its OK to not be OK, but it's not OK to stay not OK! It's a place where change happens! It's a place where I am learning what it looks like to have a relationship with God and how to walk with Him ONE STEP AT A TIME! It's a place where I have learned that it's perfectly acceptable to EXPECT CRAZY BIG things from God--He's GREAT enough to deliver! It's a place full of people that are on FIRE to reach 100,000 people for Christ in the state of South Carolina. It's a place where Kevin and I worship together, pray together and grow in Christ together. It's a place where marriages are saved, where addictions are broken, where culture's "all-about-me" mentality is shattered. It's a community of fellowship, the body of Christ coming together and listening to Jesus and doing what He says. It's a place where no perfect people are allowed and where there is encouragement to take my "next step."
I love my church!