Saturday, February 11, 2012

I'm Craving Baked Potato Soup

Soooooooo, we're pregnant again! Baby #2! I'm eight weeks today.

I feel completely different from when I was pregnant with Olivia. This time around I'm ex.hau.sted. Nauseous. I get the chills.

What the heck is going on?

Also, all of a sudden, meat is very unappetizing. I've been craving two things so far: potatoes and broccoli. Go figure!

A baked potato topped with steamed broccoli and cheese sauce sounds sooooo good right now! But yesterday I wanted this potato soup. With cornbread!




I found this recipe in the December 2011 issue of Southern Living, and I highly recommend it!

Baked Potato Soup

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1 garlic clove, minced (I use the jarred stuff)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 extra-large chicken bouillon cube
1 (24-oz.) package frozen steam-and-mash potatoes
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. pepper

1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring often, 5 to 10 minutes until golden.

2. Sprinkle onion mixture with flour, and stir until coated. Stir in bouillon cube and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, microwave potatoes according to package directions. (Do not add butter or milk.) Stir potatoes, milk and pepper into onion mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened. Serve with desired toppings.


The cornbread is from the recipe I shared here.

This is good stuff, ya'll!

Sincerely,

Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment