Monday, March 1, 2010

Biltmore House



Kevin surprised me with a trip to one of my favorite places ever--The Biltmore House in Asheville, NC. This was my birthday present, and it couldn't have been better. If you've never been, GO! Pictures just don't do it justice. We normally go every year in the fall. In fact, we were trying to remember just how many times we've been, but it's obvious that we've lost count. This was our first time visiting in the winter. I would say that there are definate pluses and minuses going in the dead of winter.

Plus: You have the place to yourself! Not many people want to brave the mountain winters to visit the Biltmore House. You can truly take your time and soak up all the beauty and history without the hustle and bustle of crowds.
Minus: Everything is gray. You can't get the sense of the lush beauty of the Estate in the winter when there are no leaves on the trees and no flowers in bloom.

I never get tired of the Biltmore House. I even said that to Kevin as we were driving up to the house. "This never gets old!" When time travel becomes possible, I want to travel back to 1900 and be a guest of George and Edith Vanderbilt in the Biltmore House. I want to travel to Asheville by train. I want Mr. Vanderbilt to send a horse and carriage to the depot to fetch me and my things. I want to dine in the Dinning Room and retire to the study. I want to sleep in one of the exquisitely appointed guest rooms. I want to experience The House when it was a "home."

No comments:

Post a Comment